Friday, May 15, 2009

Queens (excerpt)

....I started composing an erotic poem to be titled "Carnal Knowledge" the other day, but it got me to thinking more about the "sacred" feminine rather than the "carnal" feminine. The feminine of warm eyes, open hearts and child bearing hips as opposed to the feminine of apple bottom asses, plastic titties and "d s" lips. I’m not sure if over the years I have changed, or if as Amiri Baraka would say "Something in the way of things…." has changed. One thing I'm sure of though, I don’t often get the same feelings I used to get when I look at a woman.

Of course this feeling started with my mother. I remember when I was a kid I would love to watch my Mama get dressed up and made up to go out somewhere or go to church or whatever. From the slipping on of slips, the stretching out of stockings, to the zipping up of dresses, I used to love helping her get dressed. On one level it made me think about how strangely difficult it is for a woman to get dressed, with all the zippers in the back, things that buckle and needed to be clasped. On another level though, helping my Mom get dressed gave me a certain sense of reverence, adoration and sacredness towards women. For lack of a better word, this ritual of femininity was like a coronation to me. It made me feel like women were "Queens".

I think because of this veneration of women that I got from my mom, I was very particular about the women I kept company with. Despite many opportunities to do so, as a young man I tried not to trifle with any woman I wasn’t serious about. I guess more importantly, I was only in pursuit of somebody special. I wasn’t interested in being a player, or a pimp, but only in finding a quality young lady to love, honor and cherish. Those young ladies who were "easy" weren’t for me. Like I said before, I don’t know if I changed or something in the way of things changed, but things certainly did change....

No comments: